Why should children learn self-defence?
For their safety. For their futures. The knowledge and ability to protect yourself from harm should be accessible to everyone, children included. Learning self-defence in a safe and structured environment helps children to develop mentally and physically, so they can protect themselves and become the best version of themselves.
What do children learn at Krav Maga self-defence classes?
A quick introduction to Krav Maga: Krav Maga is a self-defence system that is accessible to anyone (no matter their gender, size, or abilities). Unlike other sports or martial arts, it focuses on real-life scenarios and uses simple movements to achieve effective results.
Krav Maga classes for children teaches them what self-defence is, when and how they can use it, and the responsibility that comes with it.
Fighting for no reason is not self-defence – this is explained and emphasized to children from the very beginning. Running to safety (if you can) is often the bravest thing to do and fighting is a last resort.
Through Krav Maga self-defence classes, children learn a range of practical skills and techniques: from falling safely and simple yet highly effective strikes and kicks, to escaping from grabs and chokes.
Other reasons why self-defence is an important skill for children to learn
Beyond physical skills and techniques, Krav Maga teaches children about awareness and avoiding danger in the first place, understanding or setting boundaries, how to react when they feel threatened or in danger by using their voice and body language, and much more.
Here’s a list of other benefits children will experience by learning Krav Maga:
- Increased confidence – The knowledge they gain from learning self-defence empowers children, taking their self-esteem, confidence and belief in themselves to the next level. As their confidence grows, children become able to face challenges (within their daily life or for more serious things like bullying and unwanted attention) head on.
- Physical development – Improves coordination, balance, agility, stamina, flexibility and general fitness.
- Mental health – Greater self-confidence and regular physical activity are great ways to improve mental health.
- Awareness and safety – How to be more aware of their surroundings, to stay safe in a variety of environments or to avoid potentially harmful situations.
- Discipline and resilience – Repetitive practice teaches children not to give up and to stay on task.
- Better focus and concentration
- Problem-solving – How to stay calm to deal with a confrontation and find a solution that will deescalate or solve the situation.
- Anti-bullying – How to stay calm while standing their ground and react in a way that keeps them safe. Confidence is a natural deterrent for bullying, but our classes at Spartans Academy of Krav Maga teaches children what to do if they/someone they know are being bullied. Beyond preventing children from being bullied, self-defence classes are also a solution in the aftermath.
The self-defence programme for children at Spartans Academy of Krav Maga also covers subjects like: who to talk to when they feel sad, online safety, PANTS (taught in accordance with the guidance given by the NSPCC), healthy eating, self-care, and more.
At Krav Maga self-defence classes, children will learn alongside a supportive and friendly group of peers to become the best versions of themselves.
Copyright 2022, Spartans Academy of Krav Maga. All right reserved.